These are for profit sites and commercial in nature. We list them for your convenience, but we do not have any affiliation with them except as stated. Members have found these sites useful for sourcing tools or turning materials and supplies. Listed in groupings, but then in no particular order.
General Woodturning and Woodworking Supplies and Tools:
- McMaster-Carr – Everything hardware related: nuts, bolts, fittings, electrical, you name it, they probably have it. Fast shipping and very responsive. Not a discount house, but definitely worth a look if you have a unique need not in the big box stores.
- Woodcraft – Spokane’s store open in the Spokane Valley (Fred Myer lot on corner of Sullivan and Sprague)
- Craft Supplies USA – Woodturning Supplies – major supplier of everything woodturning. We get a limited number of small gift certificates to Craft Supplies annually and use these a gifts at meetings and events occasionally.
- Packard Woodworks – Woodturning Supplies
- Penn State Industries – Woodturning Supplies
- Woodworker’s Supply – Woodworking Supplies – tools and supplies for all woodworking endeavors
- Woodworkers Emporium – another supplier of almost everything woodturning and woodworking. Nice owners, looking at retirement after 40 years in business! They have closed their retail store in LasVegas and are selling remaining stock only on-line. This may be a chance to get supplies and tools that will not otherwise be available.
- Industrial Abrasives – Sandpaper – This site has anything and everything related to abrasive materials in any shape or application at wholesale-like pricing, depending on volume of order. Many of us use IA and are very pleased with the price and products.
- Vince’s Wood N Wonders – Highly recommended source of sanding supplies and tools.
- Klingspors Woodworking Shop – Sandpaper
- Sandpaper Company – Sandpaper!
- Turningwood – Sandpaper
Fabrication and Machining:
- J and M Fabrication – 16716 W State Route 904, Cheney, WA 99004. Recommended by club member Gene Turner
- Wheeler Industries – 1118 N Howe Rd, Spokane Valley, WA 99212. Recommended by club member Frank Hutchison. They can weld aluminum (repaired his bandsaw fittings) and the turn-around time is fast!
- TRMS Services – For the middle to larger shop, a great Spokane manufacturer of ductwork and fittings. A minimum of 6″ main duct diameter in 20 gauge galvanized steel is typically recommended, and larger size main pipes and fittings are available. Jobs are made to order based on your drawing and parts list. Pricing is really excellent!
- Spokane Art Supply – Pens, ink, marking supplies and classes
- Hut Products – Fine finishes
- Mahoney’s Wood Products – Mike’s Utility Finish is used by Craig Timmerman and many other woodturners
Kits and Kit Parts:
- Chef Specialties – Salt and pepper mill parts and supplies
Specialty Turning Tools or Supplies:
- Carter Products – Carter products have been around for band saws for many years. Their new line of products for lathes includes hollowing devices, steady rests, and various jigs for specific projects. At all the woodturner shows, Carter is a company that is enthusiastic about turning!
- Dave Schweitzer’s Premium Woodturning Tools – D-Way turning tools
- KMS Tools – Tools for everything at several locations in British Columbia and Alberta
- Lyle Jamieson – A wood turner and demonstrator who also sells tools and fixtures, especially for deep hollowing. Instructional materials.
- Woodworker Network – Hardwoods, exotics, live edge slabs of wood; tools and supplies for turning as well as all woodworking. Located in Addy, just North of Spokane near Colville.
- Best Wood Tools – This is a pretty weird supplier located in TN. Baxter design threading mill fixture (expensive but fantastic looking!), adapters for all threads and Morse tapers, extenders, tool rests, other custom machining pieces.
- Hunter Tool Systems – Hunter is a maker of carbide cutters and cutting bars. High quality, price in accord!
- Harrison Specialties – Harrison is a pretty eclectic source, everything from carbide cutters, boring bars, jigs and fixtures. One inexpensive articulated hollowing system looks interesting.
- Trent Bosch – Trent is a modern legend in the turning industry. A professional turner, demonstrator, designer and manufacturer of high quality tools. Any questions off his site and just call him!
- John Jordan – John is a great turner and demonstrator with his own line of custom gouges and hollowing tools. Great quality supplier.
Local sources: Both Woodcraft and Windsor Plywood Supply have an excellent stock of hardwoods and some turning blanks.
On line wood sources:
- Berea Hardwoods – Wood blanks and kits
- Australian Burls – A major US supplier of ethically cut Australian woods including unique burls. Jim, the owner, is a fantastic turner, and looking at his work on his pages is a truly humbling experience, but one that is a lesson in excellent design and execution.
- Cook Woods – Portland, Oregon-based supplier of exotic and domestic hardwoods that are unique, rare and beautiful! From wood slabs and turning blanks to specialty lumber, guitar wood and more.