Links for Woodturning Information
Other Woodturning Clubs:
- Mid Columbia Wood Turners Club - Our closest regional turning club with a great exchange of information, meetings, speakers, and collegiality.
- McMaster-Carr - Everything hardware related: nuts, bolts, fittings, electrical, you name it, they probably have it. Fast shipping and very responsive. Not a discount house, but definitely worth a look if you have a unique need not in the big box stores.
- Woodcraft - Spokane's store open in the Spokane Valley (Fred Myer lot on corner of Sullivan and Sprague)
- Craft Supplies USA - Woodturning Supplies - major supplier of everything woodturning. We get a limited number of small gift certificates to Craft Supplies annually and use these a gifts at meetings and events occasionally.
- Packard Woodworks - Woodturning Supplies
- Penn State Industries - Woodturning Supplies
- Woodworker's Supply – Woodworking Supplies - tools and supplies for all woodworking endeavors
- Woodworkers Emporium - another supplier of almost everything woodturning and woodworking
- Lee Valley - Tools and some unique stuff that is Lee Valley specific, as well as handling the Veritas line up.
- Branches to Bowls - Just over our northern border Ken Rude sells VicMarc lathes and accessories as well as Carter and Son tools. Fast customer service. Recommended by club member Marianne Patton.
- Industrial Abrasives - Sandpaper - This site has anything and everything related to abrasive materials in any shape or application at wholesale-like pricing, depending on volume of order. Many of us use IA and are very pleased with the price and products.
- Vince's Wood N Wonders - Highly recommended source of sanding supplies and tools.
- Klingspors Woodworking Shop - Sandpaper
- Sandpaper Company - Sandpaper!
- Turningwood - Sandpaper
- J and M Fabrication - 16716 W State Route 904, Cheney, WA 99004. Recommended by club member Gene Turner
- Wheeler Industries - 1118 N Howe Rd, Spokane Valley, WA 99212. Recommended by club member Frank Hutchison. They can weld aluminum (repaired his bandsaw fittings) and the turn-around time is fast!
- TRMS Services - For the middle to larger shop, a great Spokane manufacturer of ductwork and fittings. A minimum of 6" main duct diameter in 20 gauge galvanized steel is typically recommended, and larger size main pipes and fittings are available. Jobs are made to order based on your drawing and parts list. Pricing is really excellent!
- Chef Specialties - Salt and pepper mill parts and supplies
- Suffolk Machinery (Timber Wolf) - Bandsaw blades
- R & D Bandsaws - Bandsaws and blades
- Supercut Bandsaw - Bandsaw blades (Rathdrum, Idaho)
- Central Saw Works - In Spokane on Freya across from the big NAPA store. Custom blades to any length and specification. Very fast turn around time. Also sharpening of good circular saw blades, re-carbiding tips, etc. Responsive and pleasant local shop!
- Pro Cut Saw and Tool - 18909 East Appleway Ave., Spokane Valley, WA 99016. Founded in 1988 in Spokane, Pro Cut Saw & Tool has established itself as a leader in the development of cutting tools for wood, metal, plastic and aerospace materials. "If it cuts, we sharpen it."
- Carter Products - Carter products have been around for band saws for many years. Their new line of products for lathes includes hollowing devices, steady rests, and various jigs for specific projects. At all the woodturner shows, Carter is a company that is enthusiastic about turning!
- Dave Schweitzer's Premium Woodturning Tools - D-Way turning tools
- KMS Tools - Tools for everything at several locations in British Columbia and Alberta
- Lyle Jamieson - A wood turner and demonstrator who also sells tools and fixtures, especially for deep hollowing. Instructional materials.
- Woodworker Network - Hardwoods, exotics, live edge slabs of wood; tools and supplies for turning as well as all woodworking. Located in Addy, just North of Spokane near Colville.
- Best Wood Tools - This is a pretty weird supplier located in TN. Baxter design threading mill fixture (expensive but fantastic looking!), adapters for all threads and Morse tapers, extenders, tool rests, other custom machining pieces.
- Hunter Tool Systems - Hunter is a maker of carbide cutters and cutting bars. High quality, price in accord!
- Harrison Specialties - Harrison is a pretty eclectic source, everything from carbide cutters, boring bars, jigs and fixtures. One inexpensive articulated hollowing system looks interesting.
- Trent Bosch - Trent is a modern legend in the turning industry. A professional turner, demonstrator, designer and manufacturer of high quality tools. Any questions off his site and just call him!
- John Jordan - John is a great turner and demonstrator with his own line of custom gouges and hollowing tools. Great quality supplier.
- Berea Hardwoods - Wood blanks and kits
- Australian Burls - A major US supplier of ethically cut Australian woods including unique burls. Jim, the owner, is a fantastic turner, and looking at his work on his pages is a truly humbling experience, but one that is a lesson in excellent design and execution.
- Cook Woods - Portland, Oregon-based supplier of exotic and domestic hardwoods that are unique, rare and beautiful! From wood slabs and turning blanks to specialty lumber, guitar wood and more.
- Powermatic - Powermatic makes two full size lathes, 24 and 20" throws, as well as one short bed lathe.
- Oneway - An Ontario, Canada company that makes everything woodturning! From various size lathes to tools and accessories, lots to spend your dollars on!
- Jet Tools - Owned by the same company as Powermatic, Jet has taken the market by storm! Lots of sizes and configurations of lathes available from Mini's to Midi's as well as full size.
- Vicmarc - Australian maker of a full line of solid lathes as well as precision accessories including chucks and jaws as well as other fixtures and tools. Lathe of choice for Richard Raffen and Glenn Lucas. One lathe is a sit down model, designed for those that prefer/need to sit while turning.
- Delta Machinery - Most of us probably learned to turn on old Delta machines in middle school or high school. Delta has a midi lathe in its modern fleet, as well as accessories for all its past models.
- Grizzly - Grizzly makes just about everything, including that bandsaw and air cleaner you're hoping for! Wide selection of lathe sizes and price ranges.
- Stubby Lathe USA - Stubby was made in Australia by Omega, and the lathe is no longer made, but the company remains alive, with support of its products, Oneway products, and hopes for a new designed "super lathe" in the future. Check AAW forum for discussion about this lathe.
- Laguna Lathes - Laguna Tools has come on strong in the woodturning market with new lathes and accessories. They now offer inexpensive entry-level lathes all the way up through production lathes.
- Robust Lathes - These are beautiful machines that are rock solid and "user specific" within the three models they make. Made when ordered, and variable lead time may be needed. Some larger outlets handle Robust and may have stock.
Brian Havens is an excellent teacher and demonstrator on a variety of turning topics. These three YouTube demos on scrapers will answer a lot of questions.
Craig Timmerman is a popular ZOOM presenter with our club. Anyone can search for his videos on YouTube, or access him directly at his own website HERE.
To read and print his PDF handout on all sorts of bowls, click HERE.
The heavy duty bowl scraper he uses is found at the Packard Woodworkers site; the man-made turquoise he uses is HERE, while the real turquoise and other stone he sources from Dennis Liggett. His slotted, sleeveless sanding drum comes from Klingspor and the sanding discs from Turningwood. Craig likes the velcro disc holder sanding mandrels sold by The Sanding Glove and his bond optic epoxy comes from Agates Anonymous and Rare Earth Trading. He also recommends oil finish from Livos (get the white color if you want something without the amber tinge), and he as well as a bizillion other woodturners use Mike Mahoney's utility finish.
Other useful videos and articles that are interesting, educational and of proven value to both the novice and the experienced turner:
- Stuart Batty videos - Stuart Batty combines his unique heritage with 35 years of experience as a world-class instructor to perfecting the art of woodturning. This series is required viewing for any beginner!
- Doc Green's Woodturner: Many articles with good illustrations and some videos, especially of use to beginners and novice turners.
- Wood Turning - Beginners Guide #1 - A Goblet : This is a YouTube series by Mike Waldt from beginning turning demonstration and projects through to advanced techniques. This guy's approach is delightful and very understandable. Work through the videos and become a better turner!
- Russ's Corner - Russ Fairfield's Collected Essays on Woodturning Topics, especially sanding and finishing. Russ used to be a member of INW.
- Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy - 55 instructional videos
- The Woodturner's Workshop - Woodturning resource articles & videos
- Woodcentral - Forum
- Sawmill Creek - Forum that is very active with many wood working topics
- AAW Forum - Forum requires registration
- Woodturners Unlimited - Forum and articles of interest in woodturning